29 Ekim 2011 Cumartesi

BEING A STUDENT AT METU

            I had some adaptation problems at METU when I first came here.. It was difficult for me to get used to a new environment. I had a lot of prejudices about new friends, new city, new school… Luckily, I got accustomed to all of them.
            When I first came to METU, I was scared of the size of campus. Its ways are too complicated. Due to the fact that I came from a small city, it was very big and confusing for me. Nevertheless, being at such a big university was unusual and nice.
            In my highschool times, my dream was to get score that is enough for Boğaziçi University and to go to METU. Hence, even if I didn’t get a enough score for Boğaziçi, at least I could come to METU. If I say this with another words, METU was my dream.
            Being here is wonderful. I can feel myself as a university student. It is really different from high school. We are not child anymore. We are adult now. I can feel this here.
            I addition to this advantages, being a student at METU brings some responsibilities, of course. I have lessons at which teachers always speak  English. Although I am a foreign language student, sometimes I have difficulties in understanding these lessons. But it is actually good thing. At high school times, I didn’t make enough listening or speaking exercises, so I was not enough qualified for being a foreign language student. Knowing English well is obligatory here.  That’s why, I hope I can get used to this as soon as possible.
If I talk about the dormitory, I can say we are very lucky for being METU student. I have never stayed in a dormitory. Hence, I didn’t know dormitories’ enviorenment. However, when I came this dormitory, I realized that it is really wonderful in terms of being together with friends, studying altogether etc. I think there is nowhere else like this dormitory I can much more like.
To improve ourselves, METU is the best place. In high school, I didn’t have enough time for this. I was studying all the time. But here I have a lot of time and opportunities.. There are a number of activity clubs at METU. I have loved them.
Being a student at METU means to me feeling myself special. Being here is like being in a different world. I know when I graduate from this school, I will be a good teacher thanks to attending this university. =)

2 yorum:

  1. Especially, your last sentence is so true that helps me to adapt METU,too. I think you have summarized your thougts about METU so clearly. Also, your method which is comparison METU with your high school makes your journal more understandable and more academical.In addition to this,your other points about this adaptation process are so general, because almost each student have difficulty in speaking and writing.Morever,you are true again about having not enogh practise in our high schools. On the other hand, I think you have thought in Turkish in some of your sentences. For instance,you have written 'if I talk about the dormitory,...'. I think this mistake effects me so easily because of my making this mistake usually. I hope both of us will get over this problem:)

    YanıtlaSil
  2. Your ideas about METU reflects mine completely.I faced to the same problems.Huge size of the campus scared me,too.I thought i would get lost in it.It became true and i sometimes get confused about which way i should choose to go somewhere.You didn't mentioned this situation,but i'm sure that you got lost here at least once.You are right about the responsibilities we have in METU.It is a big deal get used to the idea of understanding the lesson in English.I think you get used to this state.As you mentioned,being a METU student brings us a lot of advantages,one of which is staying at dormitory.As far as i can understand,you like dormitory life.I am sure you will enjoy it more in the course of the time.I totally agree with your last paragraph.Good journal! CONGRATULATIONS!

    YanıtlaSil